Building a Successful Consulting Practice
Friday December 13
10:00 am — 4:00 pm
MassHire Metro North Career Center 100 TradeCenter, Suite G-100, Woburn MAP
Instructor: Bruce Katcher
Ready to try consulting? Today, many experienced professionals are considering making consulting their next career step. Consulting offers independence, a chance to build your own business, an opportunity to focus on what you do best and to earn a substantial income. But is consulting the right choice for you? During this workshop, you’ll learn how to decide if consulting is really right for you, how to focus your business, and how to charge for your services.
Marketing and pricing your services is key to making it as an independent consultant. You’ll learn how to develop and implement a marketing plan and the basics of many time-tested marketing approaches. You’ll also learn the secret to successfully selling your services once you are in front of a prospect and how to write winning proposals.
Attendees will learn:
- How to never have to work for anyone else again
- How to reclaim your time and space
- How to land high-paying consulting work
- Employee, Contractor, or Consultant: What’s Right for You
- Understanding the Economic Realities of Consulting
- Focusing Your Work on a Specific Problem or Niche
- Choosing a Business Model
- Establishing Your Credibility
- Marketing Your Consulting Services
- Maintaining Your Visibility
- Selling Your Consulting Services
- Writing Proposals that Lead to Business
- Keeping Your Gas Tank Filled
- Avoiding Road Hazards
- Getting More Mileage Out of Your Business.
Bruce Katcher, PhD, is the founder and Executive Director of The Center for Independent Consulting. He is an Organizational psychologist with more than 25 years of management consulting experience and is author of “An Insider’s Guide to Building a Successful Consulting Practice” (AMACOM, 2010). Bruce is past president of The Society of Professional Consultants and has been mentoring independent consultants for 20 years. He has delivered more than 50 invited speeches on starting and growing independent consulting practices and is founder and president of The Discovery Consulting Group, specializing in conducting employee engagement surveys. His more than 100 clients include Alcoa, Delta Dental Plan, Dunkin’ Donuts, Johnson & Johnson, the Mayo Clinic, Revlon, Science Magazine, Sodexo.